What do I want to practice?

martes, 20 de enero de 2015

REPORTED SPEECH

REPORTED SPEECH




In reported speech we usually report what was said at a different time, and so we change the tense to reflect the time which we are reporting. We normally "shift back" one tense.
  • Direct speech: "I'm not playing football.
  • Reported speech: "He said that he wasn't playing football."
Sometimes we need to change the pronoun.
  • Direct speech: Jane: "I don't like living here." (Jane is referring to herself)
  • Reported speech: Jane said (that) she didn't like living here. (The pronoun she refers to Jane)
We may also need to change other words about place and time.
  • Direct speech: "I like this car." 
  • Reported speech: He said (that) he liked that car.
  • Direct speech: "I went to Tokyo last week."
  • Reported speech: She said (that) she'd been to Tokyo the week before.



LET'S PRACTICE!



3 comentarios: